Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dr. Faustus Review





With Pat, it was my first time working as a group for a projection design for a play. As a telecomm. production major, I haven't quite had a chance to work on this kind of project before. At the beginning of the semester, it was a challenge to learn about the program, Isadora and VJ program, and it was hard to tell what I will be achieving by learning the programs. However, throughout the semester, we worked our ways up to a big group project with actors and our director, Paul. When I finally could see the big picture of where it was all going, it turned out to be very interesting. I definitely learned a lot about how it is like to work as group for a big project like this in many ways, such as in social aspect and corporative aspect. But I finally watched the play. Dr. Faustus on the opening night, I was so nervous worrying if everything will go smoothly as one of the projection designers. I felt as if everyone who worked on the play felt the same, and I think we all did at one point during the show, in fact. I spent a lot of time making parts of the play on my own time. By doing so, I taught myself little bit of After Effects and more about Premiere Pro which I plan to expend my studying on. I was very glad that all of my gigs were used in the play including, the opening (initial F for Dr. Faustus), zooming into vatican, the contract with devil, scrolls for those who brought the show into reality, and axle tree video that was used in the background. Especially, with help of Pat and Tom's tweaking, everything fit together at the end. I was very proud of what we have created, and the show was a big success in no doubt.    

No comments: