Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Lorenz Chaos

The chaos I chose to use was known as the Lorenz system. I chose it because it sounded familiar from DiffEQ, but I was mistaking it for "Lorentz," which the Wikipedia article even opens by saying:

"the Lorenz equations, note it is not Lorentz"

The Lorenz system is a parametric function which when mapped over X, Y, and Z, creates somewhat of a mix between a figure-8 and a butterfly. I personally think it looks like two galaxies colliding.

There is not much else I can really say about it, as it's mostly differential equations and nitty gritty that I don't fully understand. I have to say however, it looks quite pretty.

Here is a video of it being formed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYE4JKAXSfY

- David

No comments: