Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Dots and Heavy Bass

Norman McLaren was one of my favorite "video artists" mentioned the other day. I typically am more musically oriented in my approach to designing video and his works interested me because he integrated music so well. Often when listening to music I will hink of what would go along with the track. I believe McLaren probably has the same frame of mind that led him to creating his various clips (at least the ones I could find on youtube).


 Dots was my favorite work by him. The major thing I find enjoyable about Dots is it's percussive sound. Because i've learned to play drums, almost everything I listen to has a beat and rhythm to it, even if it isn't an obvious one. The percussive style of Dots catered to my interest of percussive music pieces. When the clicking sound becomes more distorted, so does the dot on the screen. This is something simple that goes very well with the sound.

A lot of the music I listen to is largely distorted and contains heavy bass lines. Isadora, luckily, has the plugins that create the visuals I imagine when listening to some of the heavier songs I like.


No comments: