Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

VJ Avant Garde

The article helped me draw many connections between VJing and other visual art forms. Immersion appeared to be a word thrown around a lot in the article. I believe that VJs must immerse themselves into their work in order to immerse others. Like in other visual arts, the artist can thrive on being experimental and innovative, much those who have aligned themselves with the Avant Guard movement. “Avant-garde represents a pushing of the boundaries of what is accepted as the norm or the status quo” I think that there is more to being a VJ than just mashing up video clips. It is creating an experience for an audience of viewers. “VJ’s activities relate to the manipulation of fixed or moving images, figurative or abstract, which are presented in art galleries, in raves, at parties or discotheques, based on the improvisations coming from a previously selected image bank.”  The art not only comes from the object (e.g. images/clips being used) but also the space around the object. This is the case in almost every form of visual arts. What can I try that I haven’t done before? What is the feel I want to give my audience? Do I need a story to convey this feeling? Does the feel I’m trying to convey “flow” with the overall performance? These are some questions I will probably ask myself when trying to create a fresh experience for an audience.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5guIdpsclnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No comments: