Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Faust Postmortem

I focused a bit more on the audio side of ts production than the projection side, but I still feel like a got a good amount of time in both. However, before I get into what I did, I do want to say that a sincerely enjoyed the production as a whole. I think everyone involved did a great job and should be proud of their contribution to the project. Now, with that aside, what I was involved in:

First thing I remember doing was getting the set for the dorm. This was just an image I found online, but I was really excited about the resolution it turned out to be. Also, Tom's eventual clean-up and overall manipulation of the image was really cool and served as a perfect backdrop for the majority of the play. After getting that, I focused a lot on trying to find good backdrops for the play (as Paul had said that was most important). I found a few, but most were tossed or served as portions of already selected backdrops.

After getting through backdrops, I very briefly helped out with the scroll by finding an appropriate image online and applying an alpha layer to it for Yejee to use in After Effects. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out in the multiple scenes it was used in. Once that was finished up with, I helped out a little bit with the Kinect functionality which was ultimately botched (in minor ways; I mostly just tried to help with the rigging and utilization of the rabbit).

Once all of that was finished, I really tried to focus on the Clock Scene (or the Midnight Cacophony, as some liked to call it). This was a bit tricky, as we couldn't really get the precise timing down until we got to dress rehearsal. So, basically, I set about finding a good video of a digital counter (I was thinking maybe an analog clock, but given the setting thought this was inappropriate), and speeding it up or slowing it down depending on the speed of the video. Then, in Isadora, I set the video to stop and go at the push of a button. Initially, this was to give the ticking of the clock a disturbing, warped feel disconnected from reality, but it eventually worked out as a transition between Faustus' different lines. Speaking of, Pat and Tom really nailed the chaotic section of Faustus' monologue with their finishing touches. I just wish I had thought to do that earlier.

Also, during the play, I was in the control room handling audio. My job wasn't nearly as stressful as Tom's; it mostly consisted of making sure the fades occurred on time. For each transition, I had to fade manually (as there was no fade point due to the lack of knowing when a stage transition would end), but most automated fades were on point. The one time I remember messing up was the alarm at the end. The fault was half and half. I stopped it early because the track skipped due to incorrect looping. Basically, the audio sounded like a mistake and I didn't want that to happen again. But, in retrospect, I should've let Tom stop it as planned because the audience probably wouldn't have noticed. The actor recovered from my blunder perfectly however and all the audience saw was a prolonged black screen. I fixed the loop and the second night had no errors.

Again, I'm really pleased with how this production turned out, and I think everyone involved should be as well. It took a good amount of time, and I definitely learned something in the process. Really, what more could I want from a class? Hopefully, everyone else felt the same.

1 comment:

Unknown said...


I think most of individuals posting comments here speech that paramount projectors area unit junk unit those who haven't used a dominant projector or haven't seen it operative. I preponderating smart-905 from space|a neighborhood} bourgeois in my space and I’m really happy with it. I watch blue ray movies with it and so the images unit unceasingly sharp. I even have set the screen to 90” and so the images seem to fill my space. I even have seen someone speech that variety of the buttons don’t work. Well, that is contrary to my experience; all the buttons unit operative totally. i want to mention that I’m really happy with my purchase.