Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Serena Deshpande Postmortem

Serena Deshpande
Digital Projection Design
Fall 2013


Coming into this course, I had very little knowledge as to what digital projection was and only some experience in digital media. Digital Projection Design truly allowed me to gain hands on experience with the digital design process, familiarizing me with new programs such as Isadora, Gimp and Pd Extended just to list a few. Not only did I get the chance to work with and understand stimulating new programs, I was also able to experience working with a team of driven designers, like myself, to create a full production from start to finish. Over the course of the semester, I worked independently as well as alongside many of the other designers in the class to complete various projections and background images for the show.
Once the director, Paul, interpreted how he envisioned the play, The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus, I started sifting through images on Wallbase and selecting ones I thought would fit the theme appropriately. My first major contribution to the production was the Faustus Park scene. After finding the panorama online, I used Isadora to edit and add unique visual effects such as bloom, zoomer, HSL (hue, saturation, lightness) adjust and posturize. After the completion of the park scene, I worked on other projects to add to or tweak the show, many of which involved working as a team.
I realized that I genuinely enjoyed working with other students. Not only did we efficiently complete the tasks at hand, through observation we were able to teach one another what we did not know beforehand about the programs we were using. Terrence demonstrated some shortcuts in Photoshop and Yeejee showed how to animate an image in Aftereffects. With practice I know I can build from these techniques to acquire better skills with the programs for future reference. Like I stated earlier, majority of my later contributions involved cooperating with other designers in the class. I found the picture of the female demon that Paul had requested and told Terrence how to edit both male and female demons on Photoshop in order to make them visually appealing projections rather than simply two 2D images layered on top of a scene. I also found the image of the theater proscenium we used for intermission and with Terrence and Yeejee, helped remove the center with an alpha channel and layer mask on Photoshop. At one point, close to opening day of the production, I attempted fixing the rig of Mephistopheles using my knowledge of Maya when we had originally planned to create his character in real time.
During rehearsal week, when the design aspects were almost perfectly completed, I got the chance to experience working as a correspondence between the Acting directors and Digital Media directors. I took notes throughout the rehearsals on some scenes that needed to be slightly tweaked to match the performance. I also communicated with some of Paul’s assistants, noting down their feedback as well. 
Viewing the production on opening night was an amazing experience. I have to admit I was slightly nervous throughout the play but every projection performed perfectly and I believe the production was a success. Tom and Kevin did a fantastic job of hitting every key on point and the audience seemed to enjoy the show, I know I did. Overall, I believe I gained a lot more than I had originally had imagined through this course and I hope to continue the skills and friendships created throughout this semester.






No comments: