Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

bang book

Ok I read Audio & Video.Multi-Source Mixing an Streaming: Hack the Media and A Divide Between ‘Compositional’ and ‘Performative’Aspects of Pd

Where as I didn’t understand everything these articles where saying, I understood so much more then I would have a couple of months ago. It was interesting hearing from the authors of the programs I’ve recently been learning about. I understood how, Pd goes in the direction favored by the performer, because it is the reverse of that of OpenMusic. In OpenMusic, the creation of a musical score is essentially
an out-of-time activity but in a live performance it is real time and the performer sends messages to the instrument This is what cutting edge programs like pure data (and max) do. Sent messages still need to be set aside and stored somewhere for data retrieval under real-time, message-passing control. I’m not fully sure how all of it takes place but I do know that PD is a better program for this because In Pd, both (object boxes and data structures can be in a single window; many such objects can be held in one patch/ template.
I still have a lot to learn about PD, but I am catching how and why some patches are working
I need to learn some of the math behind it,
but baby steps man

No comments: