Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Maya Deren: Deren to be Different

Yea, tacky title name, but it's the best I could think of. First impressions when I first started watching The Very Eye of Night, I automatically was reminded of the opening sequence of Final Fantasy VII, seen below:
However, the video quickly changed when the music and the dancers entered. The whole time, it had this ethereal feeling to it as if I were in a trance or a dream. I suppose I'm not the most deep-intellectual-thinker so I may not be able to appreciate a piece like this as some would. I mean it is avant-garde and not supposed to be widely accepted, but more as a means to challenge the rules of society. On that note, I can say for one thing I have never seen anything quite like that, besides the FF7 opening sequence, which I'd love to talk more about, but this blog is not about Final Fantasy VII.






Maya Deren, indeed, challenged American standards of cinema and made the effort to as a matter of fact. She was very dissatisfied with Hollywood's monopoly over what an "artistic" piece was supposed to be like. Thus, that's what makes her so distinct in her pieces, and you can really see the motive behind each of her pieces. It's people like this that steer the ship into new lands, leading the way for new frontiers, and I am all for it. No matter how avant-garde it may be, I think it's a great way for our culture to grow, and that it should.