Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Monday, April 21, 2008

Final Project

For my Final project I wanted to be a vj/dj in secondlife. To accomplish this task i went into second life and built a Wall with a grid texture on it to make it look as if it was an LED Wall that one would see at concerts. Also i built two cylinders encased in a grid texture as well to make it appear as if it were cylinder video walls. The actual video that was played for my final project was recorded in resoulume. I had some trouble with resolume being able to record everything i was doing. I wouldn't recommend the program for recording media but rather for live mixing. Ideally i wanted to be able to mix video and play music live in second life but with time constraints and the amount of scripting and work it would require would prohibit me from doing this. To fix my recording issues I had to record my vjing twice just so I could get the city part to appear for the beginning of my song. I feel that the song that I chose for my project was suitable for the task that I wanted to achieve. After everything was recorded I did the best that I could trying to line up my video with the actual soundtrack in Adobe Premiere. On the day of tech I uploaded my video to pats server and originally it was 120 mb. After we exported it again in premiere we were able to compress it down to 19mb which was amazing. Overall I feel my project came out really well. If I could change one thing it would be to do it live and to try and get my video to play on my original wall. It was a great experience and I am glad I was able to pull it off.

No comments: