Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Project










The idea for my project came from a dance showcase I ran projections for last semester. One of the pieces attempted to choreograph the dancers with Windows Media player visualizations. I thought it was a neat idea, and the end result was ... well we will call it a noble attempt. My project uses a Sony PStwo and original PS software designed by SCEE London Studios for the Eyetoy games, an Eyesweb, and program language modeled after PD, explicitly for motion capture, to generate customizable visualizations based on a performers movements in real time. This does away with the need for choreography in respect to visualizations, leaving the artistes to focus on other aspects of the performance. Additionally, I experimented with infrared, darkroom capture with limited success, however I feel confident that the method developed would work well given a camera with a proper IR filter. Infrared light is of course invisible to human's, using such light to illuminate the performers would help accommodate the darken conditions of a performance space, without interfering with the lighting designers, plot. I am currently looking for some content to use my tool with, for my final presentation, if anyone has any suggestions.

No comments: