Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Chapter 9

"We impose the chaos of the human body on the medial in hope of bringing it to life."

I found this chapter to be incredibly intriguing. I think that it gets to the root of what I enjoy about the possibilities of incorporating digital media and technology into live performance situations--the relationship and interaction of performer and artist with the technology. It's not the technology itself that makes stunning art. Sure, a great looking projection is nice, but that's not what makes it exciting. What really stimulates me is the idea of turning static media--even lighting--into something 'live.' I make art to make a difference. I put life on stage--albeit my interpretation of life--in an attempt to comment on society and hope someone sees that comment as their motivation to help make a difference as well. The concept of using these tools to even further heighten the 'life' I'm putting on stage is thrilling, and I hope I get the opportunity to experience it in the very near future.

No comments: