Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Brian Eno 77 million paintings

One of the most exciting parts of Eno’s art work to me was the fact that he worked with both hand-made pieces and with digitized versions of these pieces. By putting his artwork into the computer environment, the pieces were able to take on a completely new life that enabled them to remain ever fresh and new. Each moment becomes unique with every new emerging composition. I love the fact that a person who is used to working with say, a paint and brush, does not have to leave that entirely behind! Rather, it can become part of a larger art piece that offers more creative possibilities.
This is an excerpt from an article I read about Eno and the 77 million paintings:
“The most remarkable thing about seeing work originally created for the small screen on 45-foot ones, he says, is actually watching the people watching it.
A lot of people sitting very quietly, completely lost in this thing -- it's an amazing thing to see. I've really never seen this kind of viewer behavior, where the thing that's going on is terribly slow, there's not much happening, and there are no big surprises or anything. It completely contradicts the common assumption that people's attention spans are getting shorter. I think the opposite is the case, actually. I think people are really ready for very long, still experiences in a way that they haven't ever been before, or for a very long time, anyway."
I found myself doing the same thing when we were in class watching the piece slowly change. At first, I just took it for granted that the pieces were changing without REALLY watching the process. Then, suddenly, I was like, “Wait a minute! How did that just happen?” So, then, I began to watch more closely. Only when I REALLY began to pay attention did I begin to see exactly what parts were fading in and out to slowly create new compositions.

No comments: