Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Sunday, September 21, 2008

from Fluxus to Exploding Plastic

I will start with Nam June Paik, which worked in the Fluxus movement. His use of television set to display the American obsession with the motion picture was of great interest to me. It portrayed the American life I most certainly grew up in. “Electronic Superhighway: Continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii” is a good social criticism of where we are today. The most intriguing to me was the electronic moon, The beauty of this moon image with these different effects over top of it was quite simple and just took me away. Then at the end the face be introduced tied it up nicely.
Next I looked into some of the other Fluxus works, It was not always easy to tell what was authentic and what was recent and tagged as such on Youtube. I saw one with a countdown of numbers that looked interesting. The one I saw that I like the most was a simple close up of an eye. It looked as simple as you can get with a video, but somehow has a mesmerising effect.
The final film I watched was the Andy Warhol music video Exploding Plastic with the Velvet Underground. This had a color explosion and psychedelic vibe about it. I really enjoyed it not only for the out there visuals but the music along. A early over stimulus piece in the music video world. That gave a good indication of where the music video was going. At least for awhile.

No comments: