Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Monday, February 10, 2014

Free Frame

What I've been finding with my experience with free frame effects is that the ones that I enjoy playing with most, are the ones that distort and manipulate the video's image, such as tile and kaleidoscope. I think part of this has to do with the fact that I'm using a sample video that is rather plain, so effects that don't completely distort or interrupt the image aren't as visually interesting to me in this instance.
However, if I was using a different video that had faster or simply more motion, I think I'd really like using the Time Blur feature.
What playing with these effects has taught me is that they work best when highlighting or contrasting the video's strengths. Such as playing with motion in a movement filled piece, or playing with color or lack of in a color heavy piece.

No comments: