Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Freeframe Plugins

I've spent a lot of time -- a lot -- playing with these Freeframe plugins and trying to get them to work in Isadora. It seems like I'm having an issue with my computer itself rather than the program, maybe a memory issue or something. I'm able to play around with effects and edit the footage in real time, but when I start recording the stage, Isadora stops responding and crashes. I've only gotten two plugins to work properly: Kaleidoscope and Chromium. I'm wondering if the simplicity of those two have something to do with it, but if that's the case then simple HSL adjustments would be successful as well, which has not been the case. A further problem for me has been how pixelated and laggy the clips get when I edit them. The two I've managed to record lost their lag when I viewed them in Quicktime, but the video quality is still pretty poor.

Aside from my recording problems, I've enjoyed playing with these effects. I used random clips found on my computer of dance phrases I've choreographed, clips of my dog running around, and even some old video blogs. I found that for the more simple or still videos like the vlogs, effects like Kaleidoscope and Spiral Blur were cool because they drastically changed the aesthetic; instead of me sitting still in the center of the screen, there were six of me floating around the screen, and the small movements in my gestures were magnified by the number of duplications. I also had a lot of fun playing with HSL in conjunction with these effects because it turned these images into a completely different one once my skin, hair, eyes, etc. weren't recognizable. As for the action shots, Directional Blur had a really nice effect on motion and color.

I'm really impressed by what I was able to learn and I'd like to fix whatever problem is causing Isadora to crash, because I created some pretty interesting clips that I would love to recreate and record.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I found the same to be true with the simple videos making the greatest kaleidoscopes! Which is funny because I actually used a video that was really interesting by themselves before turning them into kaleidoscopes!