Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Monday, February 17, 2014

Motion Tracking, Blob Tracking, Remediation, and Pat's Patches

Motion tracking seems like the coolest concept. Making the patch for it didn't seem TOO complicated, I just need to work on memorizing how to do so. I think it will be such a cool thing to work with as a dancer. I've always thoroughly enjoyed the motion tracking things that they have in science museums. At least, I assume that's the technology they are using, WHICH makes me even more excited to create it for myself. THEY USE THAT STUFF AT DISNEY!

Blob tracking is a method by which computers can identify and trace the movements of objects with images. A blob is a group of pixels the computer identifies as an object (example: a person can be an object). It is the job of the programmer to create the blob detection system that mimics the movements of the real life object onto the computerized reaction so that the audience can determine the relationship between the two.

The link expired for the remediation discussion. It says the youtube video is no longer available. But remediation is defined as "the correction of something bad or defective", and the video had to do with John Cage and Merce Cunnningham. I can only imagine that they used their chance methods in both their dance and music structures to "correct" anything that they saw "wrong" WITHIN the moment. But that's only a guess.


Playing with Pat's Patches:
I messed around with a few of the patches that Pat gave us in Isadora. They were interesting. I was uncertain how to work a majority of them, but I figured them out for the most part EVENTUALLY. I am still uncertain about how to change the central location of the particle systems, so my Isadora patch isn't too exciting. But we'll see!

No comments: