Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Sunday, September 7, 2014

expanded cinema part one

part one, pp. 45-69.
Honestly, when I looked at the tittle of the book at the first time, it was not that attractive for me to peruse a book which was related to media tech & art and published in1970 . My idea was that how could the content be valuable as the technology develops rapidly. For instance, look back to ten years ago, people could hardly believe that they can do so many things with a mobile phone nowadays. Likewise, the knowledge of media art and science in the book could be very different with what we know today. After I read the first part of the book, I have to say that my mind has not been changed yet. However, I agree with Youngblood’s theory on the future shock affects. He claims that the future shock would have an impact on humans’ intelligence, morality, creativity, and even the family (pp. 50-53). From my point of view, the main reason leads to the fact is the impact of the pervasive technology on humans’ interactions and communications, which is also known as the mass media. In addition, Youngblood clearly distinguished commercial entertainment and the art. Again, it is slightly different with what we already know. Actually, I think the art of commercial entertainment is one of the most popular and important art form in the current world.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read your post and as I was reading I garnered a lot of the same feeling from the book as you did. Being a digital art student, its engrained into us that in order to get better we have to continuously look towards the future and be in touch with the latest emerging technologies. Never did I think I’d gain such insight on the current state of digital media by taking the time to read a book made over 30 years. Reading the title of the book, Expanded Cinema I took it to mean just that, a revolutionizing of the way in which we view and produce film, however, the book explains that such a description only scratches the surface. It was French philosopher RenĂ© Descartes who once famously said, “I think, therefore I am”, moving out of the prehistoric age man was finally able to contemplate his existence. Life being ephemeral, moves were made to thought for the next the next generation. Expanded Cinema is the next step in man’s quest to reveal his consciousness outside of his body. Living now in the cybernetic age, the way in which we record information has evolved rapidly. Different forms of entertainment are now able to come together to provide an experience that’s vivid to all the senses. The term he comes up with ‘Paleocybernetic’ is an interesting one, it gives insight to the still untapped potential man has looming in the deepest parts of his brain.