Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Light and the Artist


One lasting saying that I have heard since a young age is “Thunder is always followed by lightning.” I have always listened and witnessed this happening but I never paired this saying with the relationship of light and sound. From the reading, “Light and the artist,” I found that the idea that light and sound go hand in hand was distinctly rejected in the 1800s and early 1900s. No one seemed to believe or understand the work of early pioneers such as Isadora Duncan and Alexander Rimington. I think that one reason that people rejected this idea is because they had never seen anything like it before. It was interesting to me that when Rimington presented the first demonstration of Colour of Music on 1895 that people thought it was strange and some disliked it. But, people were not used to seeing these colors and music mixed in this manner. I think if I had seen the show I would have thought it was very exciting. I had never heard of a color organ until reading this article so I looked up examples on Youtube. One of the coolest ones that I came across was the LED Color Organ. In this display Join Collin synchronized light to sound using the power of analog circuitry. This video alone makes me want to work more with digital projection and being able to synch light, music and digital interactions. Collin has done a lot of research and experiments on the correlation between light and sound.

1 comment:

leena pearl said...

While statistics seem to indicate that ecstasy is not as addictive as other drugs, this does not mean that people do not get themselves into trouble with this drug. Those who do will need ecstasy treatment in order to overcome their desire to use. captain america ecstasy