Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Monday, January 13, 2014

Ashley Miller-Shaked & her Dante Quartet Review

Hi,

It's me.
(It's me being that person who uploads a post the night before class, even though this said person had a long time do to it and she was just being lazy at the time only to realize now that she probably should not have procrastinated.)

Anyway, before I officially officially begin, let me start with an introduction for those of you don't know me (almost everyone, if not everyone). My name is Ashley Miller-Shaked. Yes, two last names. It's pronounced "shack-ed," don't ask me to explain, because I'll most likely just mumble nonsense into silence. I'm a good for nothing, quiet English major from Duluth, Minnesota -- came to get away from the cold only to move to a swamp. Jkjk. This is my second year at UF. I am taking this course because I think digital art is super rad and beautiful. Art in generally is super rad and beautiful. 
I hope to learn a lot about the fundamentals and happenings in Projecting Design, as well as having hecka fun.

I am linking a music video in which I absolutely luvvvvvv the overlapping of film and color. Plus, the song is pretty tite as well.  



-

Dante Quartet Review.

So, to be honest, about a minute into watching this short film via YouTube, I started to question myself as to whether I was really watching the actually video or not (turns out I was watching the right one). What I found to be extremely interesting was that there was the completely lack of sound. I kept waiting for something, but there was nothing. It was a pleasant surprise, the total silence.

Now, what about the actually footage? I was intrigued by concept of the paint on the film. It was a beautiful idea. However, at parts, I think there may have been just slightly a bit too much paint at times. Perhaps it was by design, but I still think it could have been toned down some (yet, what do I know). I did love at the end how there were underlying images layered beneath the paint. I liked the two mixes of medias combining and I found it superb.

IN CLOSING: Yes, the film was a bit "weird",  but in a great way! Stan Brakhage had vision and immense creativity within creating this piece. The soundless audio gave more attention to the visual, which was nice and smooth. The bonus of it all was that it was created in an era I have no idea about. :)

Edit: Through video browsing, I did notice that there were some versions of this film with sound. Therefore, I am thoroughly confused by which one is correct. In the event that I did make an error, I standing behind it fully...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like your personality, just so you know.

Anyways, I agree. When I first began watching it, I didn't think I was on the right track either. But then I allowed myself to use my "modern dance mind", and I created a story for myself. I would imagine that he wanted his audience to create stories of their own.