Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Kendall Robertson Intro and Video Comment

Hello all, my name is Kendall Robertson and I am in my sophomore year of undergrad here at UF. I am taking this class because I am interested in switching my major to "Digital Arts and Sciences" which will be a new undergrad major offered by the Digital Worlds Institute this upcoming fall.  I feel that this class would be a fantastic intro to all the things I will be learning in this major and I am fascinated by professional projection design - possibly a career path I will be looking into! As for the Dante Quartet video... although at first I was confused as to what I was watching and felt like I was being brainwashed but I ended up completely enthralled by this visual masterpiece. I most enjoyed that this video looked like a time lapse, especially while the words were being spelled out before each scene. The amount of layering was incredible and really contributed to the power of the images flashing before my eyes - at some points I felt as though I was seeing multiple scenes layered on top of each other. For example, I believe I saw a beach scene behind an almost transparent layer of an abstract color palette. I also believe I saw what appeared to be a woman standing in a doorway, human faces, and outer space - all behind a transparent sheet of abstract flashing. There was no audio but I do not feel that this video called for audio as it is supposed to be a visual stimulant. I feel that each scene was supposed to be telling a story although I am not quite sure what titles such as "hell spit flexion" were supposed to imply. My favorite scene was "purgation" - definitely the most colorful and psychedelic experience. What I found most amazing is that there appeared to be 3D models of different shaped amid the flashes considering the fact that this piece was done by simply painting individual reels of film. Anyways, I am excited to be in this class and look forward to a stimulating semester of digital production!

No comments: