Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Kendall Robertson Exploration

I found it extremely interesting that the "canvas" of webGL was the actual web page - what a great way to integrate technology and accessibility! At first I was pretty confused by this website - I wasn't exact;y sure what to do with that spinning box. After some research, I found that webGL scenes could be created without programming using a content creation tool such as Blender, CopperCube, or Autodesk Maya, so I started playing around with Maya and then would export to WebGL - very cool result!! As for Mr.Doob, I could stare at that colorful spinning shape all day. It was interesting to experiement with Mr.Doob because I wasn't exactly sure how to control it at first but it seemed that the shape reacted to the motions of my mouse. As I swiped fast across the screen, the shape would appear to "break up" and shatter into a million pieces or just spin faster or change direction. Sometimes the shape would disintegrate into almost nothing and then, when my mouse calmed down, would form again into the shape. Something odd that I noticed is that when I started playing music while Mr.Doob was up, the image COMPLETELY disappeared, and did not form again even when the bass dropped - not sure why this is. All together, these websites are very informative and fun to play with especially as a beginner!

As for my .obj files, I found them all on www.turbosquid.com ! You have to create an account, but it is free and they have thousands of fantastic .obj files!

Kendall

No comments: