Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Intro for Alex Pinchin and Video Comments

    Hey my name is Alex Pinchin. I am currently in the Digital Arts and Sciences degree through the College of Engineering as well as minoring in Light Design in the College of Fine Arts. However I am applying for the new Digital Worlds Institute version of the degree this Spring and will hopefully be starting this Fall as part of the first class for the degree. I grew up in Sarasota and went to a Visual and Performing Arts high school where my focus started out as acting but I soon changed to Technical Theater. The department was very small so I ended up having my hands in every aspect from lighting to sound to management and even set design. While we didn't have any kind of projection technology I started to find videos online about 3D projection on various buildings and this video done by Playstation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrgWH1KUDt4. I have seen the Box video that was shown to us during these explorations as well but it's still always cool to watch. My hope is to one day work with Disney as an Imagineer to build interactive technologies throughout the parks. I love their projection show on Cinderella's Castle as well as the "World of Color" show in California.

"Celebrate the Magic"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JynisCVbox4
"World of Color"          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhUPzPcAO1w

    Dante's Quartet was an interesting to say the least piece. I'm already familiar with Dante's Inferno which this was definitely based on. While they weren't very distinct I felt as though I could see faces and eyes throughout the Hell portion of the video. The colors were very dark throughout that portion. Once we hit Purgatory the colors got a little brighter because it is not as dark of a topic. There was images that were set as the background and you could catch different glances of it. In the beginning there was a picture on a man standing on the right side. There was a scene with a door on the left upper hand side. What seemed like maybe a library in another segment with a round door maybe in the middle. There was a volcanic eruption that took up the right hand side at one point. I know the moon's surface took up the bottom for a little bit of time when I paused it in parts. I downloaded the video and when clip by clip to try and find what other images there were hidden within it. One part of the video while not being images but rather shapes seemed like it was supposed to represent space because it was a black background with white holes spread out.

No comments: