Projection Design

“Projection Design” offers a hands-on approach to the design, planning and execution of digital projections in a variety of performance spaces by using a combination of industry standard and open source research software tools. This blog will serve as an online text for the developing book, "Technical Ecstasy" and link for the web-readings, online tutorials,software resources historical examples, video art and performance examples and essential class communications for Projection Design class taught by Patrick Pagano

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Julian McNeill and his reaction to The Dante Quartet

Hey, everyone!  My name is Julian McNeill, and I'm a 3rd year Digital Arts and Sciences major, formerly in the College of Engineering but now hopefully switching over to the College of Fine Arts.  I am taking this class because I've wanted to take Digital Worlds courses since I found out about the institute back in Preview before my freshman year.  These courses seem way more interesting to me than the math and science courses I've had to take previously.

The first impressions I got from The Dante Quartet was that it was experimental and very chaotic.  It seems like the interludes every two or so minutes into it were written in a foreign language, but I was able to gleam the word "hell".  That seemed to have had an impact on how I viewed the rest of the show because I see it as being divided into three sections.  The first reminded me of heaven because it seemed very peaceful, and the colors were light and earthy.  The various colors used reminded me of scenes in nature: forests, oceans, deserts, etc.  The second part reminded me of purgatory, and this is were it got a lot more chaotic.  The pictures were flashing at a quicker pace, and darker colors like brown and black and red were used more often.  Finally, the final section reminded me of hell, because red seemed to be the primary color used for the pictures.  It was very disorderly and I distinctly remembered seeing a face underneath all the flashing pictures.  No idea what that was about...perhaps a victim?

No comments: